Monday, October 7, 2013

made-a data

In general, I like my job. A lot. But we have this thing called data maintenance, which is code for "our apps don't quite work right and we won't fix them, so little elves have to go round behind and fix things like typos and oopsies and just plain invalid data." This is my week to be a little elf, which means I spend all day doing this and have little time for anything else. My co-workers and I consider the data-maintenance rotation to be a kind of purgatory, but I guess it could be worse - at least it takes place during normal working hours and not in the middle of the night.

Of course I did not run today, or even walk except where and when I had to, but my hamstring feels better than it did yesterday and I think maybe it isn't torn after all, or maybe not badly torn. I wonder if it will be ok to walk on within the next few days.

My viola sounded like utter crap today, and I played it like crap. Squeak, squawk, groan, whine. I'm working on one of the hardest and ugliest 3-octave scales there is, B minor. Oh, it goes up so high! And the notes are so close together - if I get any sound at all, it's often not the right one. After working on it for a while I realized that my entire upper body was tense and clenched, so I put the scale aside and went on to other things. All of which sounded equally bad :-) I don't know what's up, but it's like I lost everything I gained over the summer. My intonation is bad; my fingers aren't even close to light; my right hand is a claw, my thumb is inflexible, my vibrato is inconsistent, and my sightreading has gone completely to hell.

On the bright side: my husband mentioned that sometime recently he mistook my playing for a recording. That was such a nice thing to say.


No comments: