Friday, October 18, 2013

songs like beautiful humans

I have been playing and listening to music my entire life, but my relationship with music is complicated.

I actually hate current pop music, and I don't listen to music I liked (or played) 10, 20, 30 years ago, or even care what happened to whoever made that music or what they're doing now.

On the other hand, there are some pieces of music I'm obsessed with, that I fell in love with as though they were people. I can carry them around in my head for days at a time. The thought of them makes the hair on my arms stand on end, makes my blood run cold, makes me laugh or cry, or stop breathing.

Charles Ives: String Quartet No 1
Vladimir Martynov: Der Apscheid
Flamin' Groovies: Shake Some Action
Luigi Boccherini: String Quartet in D Minor, G.172
Joseph Haydn: String Quartet Op 33 No 2
Robyn Hitchcock: Autumn is Your Last Chance
Antonin Dvorak: String Quintet No 2, Op 77
George Gershwin: Lullaby
Johannes Brahms: Sextet No 2 in G Major
Nailbiters: Sky is Down
Tall Dwarfs: Think Small
Mozart Viola Quintet in G minor No 4, K. 516

No comments: