Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Liberace of viola

Today's happy accident came at the end of practicing - a book fell open to Kayser 2, that slow melodic one that teaches crescendo/decrescendo. My former teacher always wanted me to exaggerate the dynamics (and eventually play it with different bowings), but I could barely make it through the short piece, let alone make it interesting. Tonight it was easy, and half the fun was milking the dynamics for all it was worth. I felt like the Liberace of viola with all that rising and falling and wobbly-vibrato-ing. And then I played it with the opposite bowing, just for the hell of it. It wasn't recital-ready, but it was pretty clear what I was trying to do, and it worked about 95% of the time. Sometimes the universe smiles. I wish I'd made a recording of it.

No comments: