Friday, December 20, 2013

you are not so smart

(The title of this post comes from a blog called I've never read, but I love its name)

I've been trying out this viola all week and for some reason it's taking a lot of time and effort to get used to it. I keep fiddling (ha) with the setup. The infinitely adjustable Kreddle actually makes it worse, not better, because it's infinitely adjustable and I keep fiddling with it. But I haven't found a comfortable setup yet, at least not as comfortable as I have with my own viola. This is a new experience for me. I've played other violas before, of course, but have never been so aware of physical differences and their effect on how I play (and, consequently, on the sound). I thought this was very strange until I remembered this had happened with some basses, where they took a lot of getting used to, or else I just wrote them off as unplayable. I suppose you can get used to anything if you work at it long enough. But I feel like practice this week has been a wash.

No comments: