Saturday, January 4, 2014

lucky

This afternoon my cellist friend came over and we worked on this Mozart duet we started fooling with a few weeks ago. And when I say worked, I mean worked - we played ultra-slow, we added what we felt were missing dynamics, we took a lot of care with notes that made odd harmonies, we made a point of playing with what felt like tons of vibrato (which ended up sounding, simply, like a nice not-too-much amount of vibrato). It was great. I mean, the piece still has a ways to go, but it was so much fun. When we get together, I feel less like a "beginner" and more like a musician. My friend hasn't been playing cello her whole life, but she has played (and taught) piano most of her life. She knows so much more about music than I do, and she knows what good music should sound like when it's played well. I am so happy she has the patience to put up with me.

No comments: