This week's scale is B major, 1-octave, two different ways. The one on the A string is fine, but the D-string one, ai-yi-yi, even the air molecules run for cover when I get to 9th position. I spent almost an hour on it last night, with not much progress. I wondered if a nice sound was even possible. I resigned myself to a long frustrating scratchy-sounding week.
This morning I set aside some time just to work on that damn scale - rather, just to get up to 9th position and do whatever it took to get a nice sound. Even if I spent 3 minutes on each note making horrible noise, the goal was to figure out how to get a nice sound. Because it is possible. And, to my surprise, it was.
I can hardly wait to get home and try it again.