Thursday, February 27, 2014

good/bad/neutral

good:
  • ran for an hour yesterday and 80 minutes today, mostly easy interspersed with comfortably hard
  • got interested enough in something at work to make a little headway, and make time go by
  • string-orchestra rehearsal last night went ok. We seemed more able than usual to understand and do what the conductor wanted from us. My stand partner showed up. I really thought I would play horribly (see "practiced with my cellist friend..." below), but I didn't, or at least nobody noticed. I worry all the time I will be kicked out of that orchestra, but it hasn't happened yet.
neutral:
  • back to unmusical drills for the morning "practice" - long bows, bow circles, vibrato. Tried not to think in terms of "good," "bad," or "progress." Just do it; don't think. Do it long enough and it will help. If it doesn't help, you haven't done it long enough.

bad:
  • food holds no appeal, and as a result my blood sugar gets out of whack.
  • I had to present my "findings" (see "got interested enough in something at work..." above) at a meeting and I was all but incoherent. I suck at public speaking, even when I know what I'm talking about. I can't make my thoughts clear to save my life.
  • practiced with my cellist friend, a piece we are supposed to play at her teacher's studio recital. I sounded awful.


No comments: