Thursday, May 22, 2014

back

I set this blog to "private" a while ago because I worried that anyone reading it might think ill of me. But I've decided that's pretty silly, so here it is again, and here I am.

I am still running, something like 40 miles a week, not remotely fast. It is not fun. I am not training for anything. I am running because I know it will be worse for me if I stop. It's getting on toward summer, worst time of year for running motivation. Hopefully I can continue to increase mileage.

I started a new job last week. I am not sure I like it, and there have been times I wondered if I've made a mistake. The work is not quite what I thought it would be, but everything about the place seems temporary so the nature of work may change (I hope so). The culture is a weird mix of agile and plain-old-unreasonable-business-vs-development, and the buzzwords (and the noise level because of the "open" office plan) drive me nuts. Most of the people are much younger than I am and treat me like an aged, transparent, decaying space alien.  It's a 6-month contract, though. I can probably put up with anything for 6 months. And maybe it will get better.

Viola playing has taken a dive this week. I don't know why. I feel as though I'm moving backward. No vibrato, no tone, and I can't even play in tune most of the time. Tonight I spent a couple hours on one chunk of an etude (not getting anywhere) and then just stopped. My next lesson is in 2 days, and I'm not prepared now and I won't be prepared then. My teacher will be going to his summer job soon and lessons will stop. I've arranged to take Skype lessons with someone over the summer. Maybe the change will do some good.

No comments: