Thursday, July 17, 2014

pure and easy

My great friend killed himself 8 years ago today, jumping off the skyway bridge and putting an end to all his troubles, which must have seemed real and unendurable to him then. He was a huge fan of early Pete Townshend, and on one of the many mix-tapes he made for me he included the solo version of "Pure and Easy." I had never heard such a thing. It sounded like a demo; it meandered; the singing was dry and reedy, but it was a great song, and I was all the more prepared to love it because I was in love with my friend and he was, and will remain, the the main musical influence of my entire adult pop-music-loving life. In fact, if not for him I wouldn't be the person I am today, for better or worse. Every time I hear "Pure and Easy" I think of him, and every year around this time I find myself thinking of that song.

No comments: