Tuesday, September 9, 2014

out of the frying pan, into another frying pan

Any company fool enough to hire me has something terribly wrong with it.

Last year I went to work at Company H. I'd interviewed with them the year prior and was offered a job, which I declined. But soon enough they were hiring again and I was delighted to get the job. The company impressed me quite a bit and seemed like the perfect place for a SQL geek like me. And it was, for about 2 weeks, and then the company reorganized, which had a direct effect on my job. And then 7 months later they reorganized again, with another effect (again not a good one) on my job. So I started looking around for other work, and was offered a contract position by Company W.

The folks at Company W told me I'd be doing a certain type of work, and were very anxious for me to start, so I left Company H on a Friday and started at Company W the next Monday. When I got there, nobody knew who I was or why I was there, and even once that was straightened out, there was very little work to do, and none of it was the type of work we'd discussed at the interview. And then the company reorganized, and I decided I would not stay any longer than the length of my contract, if that long.

I was not actively looking for work, but I saw an ad from yet another company I'd interviewed with last year. They had also previously offered me a job, and I liked them well enough, but declined in order to go work for Company H, my first choice. So anyway, Company E was hiring again, and I interviewed and was offered a job. So I jumped: only 6 weeks after starting at Company W, and my third job this year. I felt like a loser for having three jobs in a year, but I hoped this would be a permanent home.

Once again, the reality was not what was advertised. Instead of developing SSIS packages (as we discussed in the interview), my job was to run those packages, manually, after hours. This kind of work has not been done manually for about 20 years, but Company E is not organized enough to use newfangled things like batch job schedulers. Company E is not organized enough to have reorgs either, but there have been several on-the-spot terminations, the walk-you-out-the-door type. The most recent of these was a project manager who was not my boss but had more of an impact on my work life than my real boss does. He reminded me of the manager at the first job I ever had, at Arbys, when I was in high school. It might be appropriate to say to high school students "you look bored, you must need something to do!" but it's definitely not cool to say this to 50-year-old people with a fully-developed work ethic, thanks very much. He wasn't terribly organized either, and under his reign things were very chaotic. Anyway, I have to admit to a bit of relief when he was summarily dismissed this morning, and I hoped that we could finally automate the make-work and get to doing fun SQL geek stuff. Not to be, not to be...we'll now be expected to do the make-work at least 5 nights each week (on top of our normal business-hours work week), and if we finish that make-work, we'll get assigned more.

How do I manage to pick 'em?

No comments: