Saturday, September 13, 2014

this week is over.

Running: 52.6 miles this week. Not fast, but totally manageable. The mornings are just a touch cooler. Planning 58 miles next week, whoopee.

Work: well, we've talked that to death, haven't we? Despite it all, I thought of something during today's run that I just had to try before I forgot it, so I ended up working about 2.5 hours today.

Viola (pedagogy): 2nd lesson with Mr Regular Teacher since he returned...he gave me a lot to work on last week, 3 scales, an etude, and a piece. Oh, how I worked on it! Especially helpful (or so I thought) was Mr Summer Teacher's don't-be-afraid-to-fail attitude. Well, I failed :-) Today my teacher picked apart everything, and I have to admit he was right, none of it sounded beautiful. But I question my ability to ever sound beautiful - I just don't know if it will happen. In the end, I did not pass GO, did not collect $200 - have been made to stay with the same piece and the same etude (even the same part of the etude) another week, at least. He did say "well, it *is* starting to sound nicer..." right at the end of the lesson, though he'd already pointed out so many flaws that I wonder what he could possibly hear that was nicer-sounding. Don't get me wrong - I am not devastated by this, just trying to be a good sport about it. I will keep plugging along, I guess.

General: a longtime acquaintance died suddenly. We were never close friends, but some of my close friends were his close friends, and they are unpleasantly shocked by this. There's an informal gathering tonight at someone's house, and my husband and I will go, mainly for the sake of our friends who are grieving. It's always nice to be around friends when someone dies.

No comments: