Saturday, December 13, 2014

ok,

It has occurred to me that I might have been too quick to damn the HR people at my company. I posted a question about it in a forum where people talk about employment stuff during treatment. Two people have answered - one works in HR, even - and both have said, essentially, "chill, this is what companies do, they don't want to get caught having forced a truly sick person to work so they treat any type of cancer diagnosis like this. It's not you." The person who works in HR also mentioned that my medical expenses probably did not cause the increase in insurance premiums for the whole company.

Sure, the HR woman lacks a lot of communication skills, and seems unable to retrieve a sheet of paper from a fax machine, and seemed to pull that "you can't work until we get that note" rule out of her ass, but those are just unfortunate things. Maybe they are not indications of a plan to fire me or get me to quit. Maybe I've been wrong about this, and maybe I seem like a lunatic. I hope my hysterics can be forgiven, or at least overlooked.

2 comments:

Lee said...

I agree it's probably not a plot against you. And with my absurd ideas of civilisation I still think you shouldn't have to endure being treated so inhumanely by people whose business is management.

And you might appear to be something like a lunatic because of what is happening with your body chemistry at present. This could be the hardest thing you endure in the whole ordeal, and if you've got tamoxifen ahead of you, now's the time to prepare yourself. You've got one major weapon against it: you have well-established habits of physical training.

Sometimes the only thing you can do is train. That's where I am at the moment.

Employment is scarce enough now. They can make it as messed-up as they like.

It may come as a surprise to realise just how many well-placed people have simply been allowed to remain where they are because it suits someone up above to leave them there. Such individuals live every day with the irrationality of their situation, and sooner or later it gets to them and they can't act like human beings when at work.

There is more irrationality in play now than its opposite. If you are the only sane person in a roomful of nuts, your role will be that of the crazy person. When you see it coming, take a step backward and let that crazy person role assignment sail right past you. It can't stick unless you embrace it.

No surprise that HR pro's think you should put up with that crap. In their little world it's all about them. Congratulations on keeping your adult perspective nevertheless, and considering you might be wrong. Somebody has to do it.

joe positive said...

Training, training...what's that? I haven't run a step since the day before surgery. And even though it wasn't as awful as some of the experiences I've read about, things still feel weird enough that I want to get my doctor's ok before I start running again.

But I will take this under advisement. I do have tamoxifen ahead of me, and I dread that more than radiation (which I don't really dread at all). If something that will turn me into a raging lunatic for five years reduces my chance of recurrence from, uh, 7% to 3.5%, well, maybe I will think about forgoing that.