Thursday, December 11, 2014

piece of work

One last thing about the HR/doctor's note debacle: my doctor's nurse called me today; she'd been out of the office all week and was just then returning messages. It turns out she faxed the return-to-work note my company 3 (3!) times, the first being just after surgery. So the HR woman is either a liar or stupid. I don't hate anyone besides Dick Cheney, but with her it's a close call.

--------------------------------------------------------

I had a viola lesson today, first in about 10 days so I should have been able to learn everything in that time, yes? No. I dreaded that viola lesson right up until the moment I got out of the car and saw the sweet little neighbor dog who rarely hangs out in the yard anymore. We chatted for a few minutes and then I rang the bell, expecting miserable playing and lots of criticism. But I didn't play 100% poorly, and my teacher worked with what I had, and things got to sounding better, and I learned some stuff. Today was one of those days I really enjoyed hanging out with him. I don't understand how sometimes he can be so nice to be around, and other times he can seem like a jerk. I guess I'll never know.

And some of the things I learned today include:

  • a key to a good hand frame is to keep fingers down. I think I lost that habit trying to play fast and especially trying to play all those little frilly turns in the Hummel. But I never did learn to play them well, and I lost the frame I was so happy to discover a few months ago. So: frame frame frame, and keep those fingers down. If I ever find myself tending to play out of tune, I need to remember this.
  • there is a pattern to a 3-octave scale. If you know one, you know all of them. Wow. It's only taken me 2 years of playing scales every single day to realize that. I mean, I knew there was a pattern, but Flesch seems kind of arbitrary with fingerings on the descent. But it's really not arbitrary. Wow.

No comments: