Saturday, July 18, 2015

running, and the gotchas of aging

For the past five months I have been trying to build back my running mileage. Things were going well until June, but since then I've had injury after injury and just can't catch a break. It's really frustrating because I've been so good, favoring endurance over intensity, taking regular cutback weeks, backing off at the first sign of any little newborn injury.

And yet the past month has been a study in frustration. I strained my left calf (no known cause) so I babied it, walking, walk/running, and finally run/walking until it was pain-free and I could start running again. Two weeks later (including a super-cutback week because I was inexplicably tired) I strained it again (no known cause) and I have been babying it again. This time the walking and walk/running has aggravated the lateral quads on both sides, and the tibilais anterior on the uninjured side hurts like a motherfucker, even sitting at my desk, even at night when I turn over in my sleep and leg cramps wake me up.

I say the walking/running has caused this because I really don't know what has caused it. But it sucks to shuffle around like an old woman. I'm not even fifty-two years old.

No comments: