Friday, May 19, 2017

the summer will not be long enough.



Music assignments for camp came out today. I was assigned a Brahms sextet and a Borodin quartet, one of which I know, both of which are beautiful and waaaaaaay over my head. My first thought was that they mixed up my videos with someone else's. I know both cellists in the Brahms and they are just amazing. Some more sleuthing turned up a conservatory grad and some (high school and college) people who seemed to be very serious musicians. And they will be stuck with me.

Oh, god. What were the camp people thinking? Whose videos were they watching, thinking it was me? I wish I could ask my teacher to write and tell them: "Look, she plays out of a children's etude book; her recital piece is very simple and she can't even play it properly." One report card like that would right things.

I was really expecting simpler stuff: a concerto grosso, or something with a tacet viola part, or some quirky minimalist modern music, or maybe an early Mozart or Haydn quartet. And I realize that had I been assigned really simple stuff, I wouldn't have been all that satisfied. But these pieces...it's not that I don't want to work on them. It's just that I don't know if I can pull it off. The reason this camp publishes music assignments 2-3 months in advance is that they expect you to learn the pieces so well that you can handle whatever the coach wants you to do to make it musical. I don't know if I can even learn these by late July. The other people will find out, but they will be stuck with me.

No comments: